Winter is officially here, judging by the shorter days. We’re all familiar with the latest trends in coats, knits, and boots, so we only have one accessory to buy: the handbag. A good bag is the perfect accessory to any outfit. It can make any look more sophisticated, especially when it’s all wrapped up. Are you unsure which style to choose this season? Don’t worry. We did all the research for you.
Winter 2021 will see a shift from classics to more unexpected colors, prints and textures. Are we truly surprised? We’re not surprised that after spending most of 2020 and 2021 indoors, we are eager to bring some excitement back to our bag collections.
Below is our guide to the seven top winter handbag trends. Shop all the styles that we are currently eyeing, including small but not too small, ’90s-inspired shoulder bags and totes of gargantuan dimensions, as well as brightly colored to bedazzled and fuzzy.
The fall/winter 2021 collections are sparked by a variety of handbag trends. However, we have been enjoying the most interesting prints. We’re looking for abstract patterns this season (like Prada’s popular jacquard knits), as well as the much-loved checkered print and vibrant takes on classic animal prints.
- Prada Cleo Jacquard Knit Shoulder Bag ($2400)
- ASOS Design ’90s Shoulder Bag ($26)
- Staud Tommy Beaded Bag, Multi Argyle ($250)
- LastFrame Mini Ichimatsu Check Ribbed-Knit Tote Bag ($268)
We see furry bags return in big numbers every couple of years. Bottega Veneta’s Ugg x Telfar collaboration is to be credited for this year’s furry bag revival. As we approach peak cozy season, we are tempted to wear super-soft faux fur and shearling styles in winter 2021.
- Zara Faux Fur Handbag ($26)
- Mango Checked Furbag ($80)
- Stand Studio Mini Lizzie Buffalo Check Faux Shearling Tote ($105)
- Mango Textured Faux Shearling Bag ($80)
We’ll be carrying our shoulder bags all winter, as the trend for shoulder bags isn’t dying out. The best styles of this season are inspired by past silhouettes (hello, 1990s!). They are available in a variety of colors, textures and prints. There’s a bag that will suit your needs, no matter how minimalistic or bold.
- JW Pei Ruby Shoulderbag in White Croc ($89)
- Who What Wear Isabella Bag ($85)
- Musier Lana Bag ($198)
- &. Other Stories Curved Leather Shoulder Bag ($149)
- ASOS Design 90s Shoulder Bag in Black & Off white patchwork ($26)
Forget neutrals. We’re all for bold, bright primary colors this winter. These colorful bags, which are as minimalistic in design as possible, add a bold and vibrant touch to any cold-weather outfit. Let’s face the facts: Winter can be dark and gloomy. To brighten things up, why not have a poppy bag?
- Urban Outfitters Kez Baguette Bag ($39)
- Mansur Gavriel Pencil Bag ($495)
- Staud Scotty Leather Shoulder bag ($325)
- House of Want Vegan Leather Shoulder Bag ($78)
With more people gathering in person, winter will be full of holiday parties, dinner parties and long nights out. We’ll be reaching to our crystal-embellished bags for all our winter party looks. These bedazzled beauties look great with cocktail dresses and going out tops. However, they also look great when paired with a casual, chunky sweater.
- Mango Rhinestone Crystal Purse ($100)
- Cult Gaia Hera Mini Crystal Embellished Satin Shoulder Bag ($490)
- Olga Berg Luisa Crystal Fringed Box Clutch ($110)
- Kara Midi Crystal Fringe Tote ($350)
Bags that are larger than normal
The oversize bag was a popular choice for runways in the past few seasons and finally made it to our feeds this autumn. Mini bags will always be a favorite of ours, but we are glad that there are plenty of larger options for those times when we don’t have an iPhone or a credit card. These spacious bags can be worn to dinner in a variety of styles, from slouchy and structured.
- COS Leather Tote Bag ($350)
- Valentino Garavani Roman Stud leather Hobo bag ($3400)
- Free People Daybreak Hobo ($78)
- &. Other Stories Stripe Quilt Padded Tote Bag (79$)
Are you frustrated by trying to squeeze your shoulder bag under a heavy coat? Top-handle bags will also be in fashion for winter 2021, which is a good thing. There are many styles to suit every occasion, including larger bags that can be used at work and smaller ones that can be used for casual occasions. Many bags come with an optional crossbody strap so you can carry them around even when they aren’t needed.
- Elleme Small Dimple Croco Pearl bag ($390)
- Who What Wear Fran Bag (75$)
- Coperni Mini Bluetooth Bag ($790)
- Zara City Bag with Metallic Details ($50)
- Charles & Keith Blue Marise Croc Effect Trapeze Bag ($86)