You don’t have to be afraid of skinny jeans. No matter what brand or reputation skinny jeans have, they can be worn with any body type. It is important to choose well-fitting, slim jeans and balance the silhouette with tops.
Seasonal Style Ideas For Skinny Jeans
No matter where you are in California or Minnesota, skinny jeans are a staple all year.
During the warmer months, skinny jeans look great with loose, simple tops. These options can be worn with light-wash, slightly ripped, or cuffed skinny jeans. All of these styles reflect the casual appeal of denim during the spring/summer.
- Tank tops: ASOS has some amazing tank tops that can be worn with skinny jeans. They are available in long lengths and slightly larger sizes.
- Urban Outfitters has a large selection of graphic tees.
- Dolman-sleeved tops – The loose sweater-knit Old Navy top would be great for the warmer months. The top retails at $20 and comes in sizes XS to XXL. Dolman-sleeved tops work well because of the balance between the bulkiness and the skinniness in the jean. It is important to measure your shoulders to find the right-sized dolman sleeves top.
Oversized tops such as sweaters, jackets in boyfriend-style, or even caps are great for enhancing your skinny jeans during the coldest months. An oversized top will balance your skinny jeans, which are narrow and tapered. Here are some options:
- Jackets: Nasty Gal is an online retailer that sells oversized jackets in boyfriend-style.
- Capes: The Zara cape, $120, is great to wear over a long-sleeved tee and dark-washed skinny jeans. Capes are a versatile item that can be worn in many different ways. However, it is hard to find a good one. To ensure that it doesn’t overwhelm your frame, try on capes before you buy. It is a good rule of thumb to avoid anything exceedingly long than your mid-thigh.
Skinny jeans can be worn for almost any occasion, including casual and evening events.
If paired with a dressier top and great heels, skinny jeans in a darker color can look great for an evening out. Here are some options for dressy tops:
- Details about lace: A lace top is best paired with black skinny jeans. Because of its intricate details, lace looks more expensive than it is. It will contrast well with the casualness and elegance of a pair of jeans. For pairing with skinny jeans, lace tops should be longer in the torso but shorter at the body.
- Sparkle: These tops can be dressed up or down for evening events, such as after-work drinks with colleagues or dinner at the desk. You can wear one with dark skinny jeans, such as wine red or mossy, or even dark jeans with bright heels.
- Leather: For a more sophisticated night look, a boxy leather top can be worn over dark washed jeans. The boxy fit is balanced by the slim leg and looks great on apple-shaped women.
For casual wear, skinny jeans can be a great option. Casual does not have to be casual. Look stylish and feel fabulous in:
- Silk button-up shirt: Equipment is the most trusted provider of silk shirts. Everlane and Uniqlo offer similar silk shirts at a lower price. You should choose something slightly larger — the buttons shouldn’t be visible at the chest. The shoulders should be straightened and the sleeves should reach the wrist. Ann Taylor has a selection of work-appropriate peplum blouses in a range of colors and patterns. Peplums should be slightly longer in the torso and looser in front. This will ensure a proper proportion with the skinny jean.
- Blazers: Theory has some fantastic-fitting blazers. To balance the tightness of your denim bottom, opt for an oversized fit.
Accessorizing Skinny Jeans
Shoes are the best way for skinny jeans to be accessorized. Open-toed ballet flats and flat sandals are great for the warmer months. The fall and winter months will be warmer if you wear skinny jeans with tall riding boots. For a chic look, pair your skinny jeans with booties to highlight the ankle.
Where to buy skinny jeans
Every retailer has a selection of skinny jeans. You can try different sizes and styles of different brands to find the best pair of skinny jeans.
- Levi’s: Levi Strauss & Co was the original pioneer in denim. It continues to produce some of the finest denim in the world. Levi’s jeans can be purchased at most department shops. Curvier women might consider Curvey skinny jeans. They are $78 and made specifically for women with hips.
- Gap: Gap is a mall staple that stocks a wide range of denim, and their latest patterned and colored skinny jeans are on-trend without going broke.
- Seven for All Mankind (7FAM),: This brand is the one that launched the designer denim craze. 7FAM jeans are pricier than Levi’s or Gap but they are very flattering.
You can see that skinny jeans are versatile, as you can see from the many options. The best foundation for almost any closet is skinny jeans.